Week11: Comics as contemporary literature

This week I read Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli, which consists of an illustration that is holding our eyes. This book is not so old since it was written. It was published in 2009. The storyline of this book is a graphic novel about the life of Asterios Polyp, a professor who teaches students at Cornell University in New York. When I read the book, I could see that the character of Asterios Polyp is not good. I did not like him all the time, but I kept wondering why he had such a personality and kept seeing the book.

The illustrations that make up every page apart from the character's unfavorable personality were fantastic. I mainly used colors that make me feel dreamy, such as dark pink, blue and purple, not the color I see. In the early days, there was a scene where the building with the main character was lit. I gave an image of the cross-section of the building on one screen and showed people going down and saw the use of free panels. He expressed his sense of urgency.

It was very impressive to express it in different pictures depending on the emotions of the characters, mainly using clean lines and clean contrast. There is a character who is a hero and a lover, and when she first sees the main character, she does not know it well and shows a vague relationship using the Hatching style. And the main character who was embarrassed to change the picture body similarly in the situation where the main character and her conflict were made by using various stereoscopic figures, and she was angry, so she used the matching style as before. Configuration of unique colors It is a work that I enjoyed to see the works drawn using various panels and changes in the picture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week12: Comics by women

Week 08: Stereotype and the ethics of representation