Week07: Maus and the legitimization of the graphic novel

The book that came to be read this week saw the graphic novels, "Maus" written by Art Spiegelman and "Barefoot Gen" written by Keiji Nakazawa. Both books were written in relation to those who had become victims of war; of these two books I would like to talk to are Barefoot Gen, written by Keiji Nakazawa. I have lived in Korea, a side of Japan, so I knew some about this case.

The simple plot of "Barefoot Gen" was a book that showed the sadness of losing a family due to the collapse of a family that had been peaceful by an atomic bomb.
Before seeing this book, I first encountered the animation version, but it was made after the cartoon, so the picture was definitely cleaner. When I look at the book, I use the hatching technique to make it look effective according to the situation. On page 5, I drew a long line around the plane several times to effectively express the urgent situation and the movement of the airplane. The overall person-drawing style was used in the past, so the emotions of the characters were emphasized and it was more accessible, usually, Japanese books read from right to left
It seems that you can see panels that are not exactly spaced because they are released as a foreign language translation board.

In books and animations, it can be seen that the story of the time was depicted because it can show the narrative for a long time due to the nature of the book. Usually, when I see other war comics, I glorify the war. This comic seemed to show the suffering of everyone, so it was good to be objectively seen. Wars couldn't be justified and seemed to show that they bothered many people.
After reading the contents of historical pain as other comics, the feeling of feeling was heavier than reading other books
I want to say that I hope there will be no such pain again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week12: Comics by women

Week 08: Stereotype and the ethics of representation

Week11: Comics as contemporary literature